Rev. Jerry Lawritson, long-term board member and former president of the CCSA, passed away Sunday, January 24. His memorial service was Saturday, January 30, at Community Congregational Church of Pacific Beach, where he was pastor for 30 years. He was a strong supporter of CCSA and will be greatly missed.
Save the Date – 2016 Hunger Walk!
This year’s hunger walk will be held Saturday, April 23rd at 8:00am.
Thanks to Las Patronas for donated refrigerators!
BIG Thank you to Las Patronas for the grant received for refrigerators and a pallet lift for the agency!
CCSA Christmas Gift Basket Program 2015
Many thanks to all who participated in this year’s CCSA Christmas Gift Basket Program. To all who donated baskets, please know you truly made a difference in the lives you touched with your generosity! As families came into St. Mark’s hall to pick up their gift basket, they were overwhelmed with the sight before them. CCSA supporters had brought over 375 baskets to 249 families this year. Some for the larger families had more than one basket put together for them. Children’s eye’s were bright and smiles were wide. Mom’s and Dad’s often could not speak as they saw what very generous singles, couples, families and groups put together to make their Christmas celebration a special one.
It is hard to find the words to say how much it meant to those who were sponsored. It showed through their expressions and words of thanks. The team of helpers in the hall who labored very hard to transport from cars the basket donations on Wednesday Dec. 16th and transport the baskets on the 17th to the recipient families car, or help them to the bus stop, were so grateful for the gift of helping and experiencing the joy on the faces of those who received these donations, it made the gift of giving very alive. It is what this season is all about….
Many thanks to a wonderful team of helpers! Thank you St. Mary Magdalene Bingo workers, Rich, Bob, Mike, Alice, Patty and Sara, St. Mark’s for your hospitality, and for Phyllis who helped so much on both days, for Julie who helped with translation, for Becki and Rosario who coordinated all the recipients with Sponsor’s, for Marya who coordinated the website sign-ups and kept us so well informed, and for the agency support! You are all amazing! Your dedication to this project made it all go so well. Blessings to all the donors who made this event happen! It could not have been done without you!
Bay Park Food Drive A Success!
Thank you Maryann Augustine and Bay Park Residents
Thanks to Being Fit in Clairemont Square for Food Drive Donations!
Our Board of Directors and Staff would like to say a BIG thank you to the staff and members of Being Fit for organizing a holiday food drive for those who come to CCSA for assistance. We want you to know that we are deeply grateful for the 8 cases of food collected at Being Fit. Our thanks to all who shared what they have with others in such a meaningful way. The Clairemont community has always been very responsive to those in need. You have all made a very positive difference!
2016 Annual Meeting will be Wed., Feb. 24, at noon at St. Mark’s UMC, 3502 Clairemont Dr.
2016 Hunger Walk will be Saturday, April 23, 2016 at DeAnza Cove in Mission Bay Park.
AMAZON SHOPPERS CAN SUPPORT CCSA IN TWO WAYS
1. Buy something for CCSA on our wish list. Click here to see information about our Amazon wish list.
2. Buy something for yourself by clicking the Amazon icon above and CCSA will get a rebate.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Volunteer your time
Donate food, clothing, hygiene items, or stock
Read more How you can help
SPECIAL THANK YOUS
A BIG thank you to City View Ministry Outreach for the Food and Clothing collection that was given to Community Christian Service Agency at the Women’s Christmas Dessert on Wednesday December 9th, 2015. This group collected 417 food items and 200 clothing articles to help those in need in San Diego. This type of donation is particularly helpful during this holiday season when those in need have an even tougher ongoing struggle. Ladies, you have made a difference in the lives of those who come for assistance! Thank you for sharing what you have with others. This IS what it is all about!
- Northminister Presbyterian – Greeting Cards Makers for a food donation
- St Mary Magdalene Church – Catholic Daughters and Rosary Makers for their continued support
- BIG Thank you to Brother Benno in Oceanside for a donation of 390 food bags.
- 99 Cups of Coffee on Cass St for donation of coffee and pastries
Hearts & Hands (Jeanne Schultz) for donation of hats and gloves
San Diego Branch Church on Clairemont Mesa Ave for donation of food collected
- Coco’s restaurant on Nobel Dr. for donating pies for the holidays!
- F.O.C.U.S. (Friends of Children United Society) of Coronado recently refurbished the outdoor play area for children of our clients. They fenced the area and provided new toys, too.
- Animal Protection & Rescue League Thrift Store has provided clothing items for our clients since 2004!
- Karen Scanlon provided the funds to purchase a new storage shed for children’s clothing. Volunteers have also installed new shelving and reorganized the storage areas for men’s and women’s clothes.
- Charlie’s Bakery – fresh bread weekly
- Fairmont Grand Hotel Del Mar– food donations
- King Technologies– Computer equipment and services
- Senior Gleaners- fresh fruit
- Target Express (North Park)- Fresh salads and other food items
- Camden Sierra – (Otay Ranch)
- Off the Wall printing-banners
- Von’s – food items
- Violet’s Hair design – Shampoos & soaps
- Keller Williams Realty – Backpacks